Now Accepting 2018 Applications!
POETRY PROMISE AWARD GUIDELINES
The Poetry Promise Award was created by the Clark County Poet Laureate to acknowledge achievement by a poet who is a full time student. The award provides a selected poet:
- Recognition for achievement in the art of poetry.
- $500 to support the study and writing of quality poetry.
- A public reading with prominent Clark County poets.
Poetry Promise Award Eligibility:
- Full-time student of age 15 and up
- Current resident of Clark County, Nevada
Submission Round 1 – Deadline Sunday, December 31st 2017
Poets should submit 3-5 pages of original poetry by the deadline. 3-10 poets will be selected for the Semi-Final Round. Semi-finalists will be selected and informed by Monday, January 15th, 2018.
Submission Semi-Final Round – If selected, Deadline Monday, February 12th, 2018
Semi-finalists will then submit a manuscript of up to 15 pages of original poetry. It is acceptable to reuse poems from Round 1 in this submission. Please give your manuscript a working title. Semifinalists will also be asked to submit a Brief Statement on other poetry or poetic traditions that have influenced them or that they admire (1-2 pages).
Round 1 Submission Guidelines:
- We encourage early submittals. Late submissions won’t be considered. Submissions must arrive on or before December 31, especially if mailed.
- Please include a cover page with the following elements: your name, mailing address, email address. Please do not include your name on any page except the cover page.
- Poems should be typed in 12 pt. Times New Roman or Arial font.
- Email submissions as .doc, .docx, or .pdf files to : [email protected]
Mail submission to: Poetry Promise, Inc., 5771 Empress Garden Ct., Las Vegas, NV 89148
- We will use a “blind” submissions process. Personal information should not appear on the poetry pages.
Poetry Promise Award Final Selection – Friday, February 23rd 2018
The Poetry Promise Board and Clark County Poet Laureate will choose the poet selected. This poet will receive a $500.00 award intended to further their study and writing of poetry. Finally, with guidance from Poetry Promise, Inc., the selected poet will be invited to perform as the featured artist at a Poetry Promise Award Reading.
Click on the pages to download the guideline:
Questions? You may call (702) 706-2383 or email [email protected] for further details.
About the Poetry Promise Award:
Inspiration for the award came from Clark County Poet Laureate Bruce Isaacson’s reading of the life of Arthur Rimbaud:
Arthur Rimbaud was the most talented writer of his era, and was perhaps born with this gift. See the Rimbaud Chronology attached. A lack of local understanding and opportunities led to his abandoning poetry at the age of 21 to become an adventurer and gun runner in colonial Africa. He has since been claimed as a prime inspiration by literary movements from the French Symbolists, Surrealists, Existentialists, Beats, Punk movement, etc… My hope in establishing the award and local workshops is to provide constructive avenues of engagement. We hope to encourage literary understanding and achievement by promising writers.